Monday, February 15, 2010

Survival Monday

Last week ended in a cloud, just as I expected, with 3 inches of snow and ice. I didn't mind driving home during the storm, but did run into the occasional slow dimwit that hadn't realized the temperature wasn't cold enough to freeze the wet road. Why does every hermit in the neighborhood (including me) decide that they should go outside and play during a snow storm? I guess that's an easy way to determine which neighbor never lived up north. I was also gonna swing by the store on the way home but decide I couldn't fathom the site of 100 people fighting over milk and bread.

Overall it was a very productive weekend of painting and baking and now we begin Survival Monday. On Saturday I stumbled across Keri Smith's artist's survival kit website. Even though it's mostly humor I found a few topics that really hit home. The list below really caught my attention.

I strongly agree with half of this list, but the other half needs some clarification. I guess #1 tends to be the biggest demotivator I've experienced, so I'll assume from its placement it also affects other artists. The day I stopped comparing myself to others was the day I felt free as an artist. I now look at other artist in 3 ways. First, other artists are inspirations and seeds for new ideas. Second they're people who share my struggles. Thirdly, they're teachers in the sense that their work and techniques can be studied. Improving your skill can be done by truly admiring someone else's work. It's easier to say, "I can't do that kind of work" than to say "I need to practice to achieve that technique." Don't take the easy way, it's plain lazy.

I'm so lucky because my family has been very supportive of my work, but like starting a new business, your family will give you 100 reasons why you will fail. Dealing with family can be very tricky. Most people don't follow their dreams because of fear and that same fear drives them to criticize others. You can't let fear win. Number 8 also talks about family pressure, which really shows how family and friends can influence your artistic development. I have recently found that I'm drawn to really dark art, which I know my family will not like or approve, but I can't learn it or experience it in a deeper way unless I do it. At the end of the day, real family will still love you.

Number 3 and 4 really make me laugh because they scream LAZINESS. Complacency is not an option. You can always do better. Just because one friend thinks a certain piece is your best, doesn't mean you should stop painting. That's just one opinion. On the flip-side, Just because the first attempt wasn't what you expected doesn't mean you should quit. I'm still learning how to draw comics. I know they look amateur but I also see the improvement and that's the important part. There is nothing more rewarding than experiencing an Aha Moment as an artist.

Ok, 5 and 6 are really tricky areas for an Artist. The value of your art is a very subjective thing in so many levels. If you want to be a serious artist you must confront the issue of money. I initially compared my work to others and then priced it accordingly. This was a huge mistake because it doesn't take REALITY into account. Yes, it's still around even for artist. Here are a few things you should consider when pricing your work and skill:

  1. Your demographic area (you need to know the consumer)
  2. Having pricing criteria for commissions.
  3. Being consistent with your pricing.
  4. Pricing differences between personal work, show work and commissions.
  5. Comparing your price (not work) to other artists in the area, that actually sell.
  6. Setting financial goals

Because I'm also very left brain oriented I can tell you there is nothing wrong with treating your art like a business. If you take a small amount of time to set realistic financial goals and realistic schedules, you will be successful. Having a plan is the first step to completing your next piece.

Finally, the societal pressures speech is overrated. We all have beliefs and for artists that's no different. It just gives us another way to express them. I don't bow down to social norms nor do I completely slap them in the face, and that's because I like selling artwork for the masses. If you want to constantly make provocative artwork that makes viewers really think, that's perfectly fine. There are always going be people that don't agree with what you do or how you do it. I have my happy balance by painting for people 50% and for myself 50%. Find YOUR balance and be happy.

So, if you want to survive Monday? Be yourself, know who your friends really are, keep working on getting better, plan your day, think like a business person when it's needed and above all LOVE yourself first.

-Eduin

No comments:

Post a Comment